INSIDE THE CANCELLATION OF 'THE QUEEN LATIFAH SHOW'
CBS' decision to pull the plug on The Queen Latifah Show last week has sparked some rumors about why the show is ending after only two seasons. Some sources insist the cancellation was just a matter of ratings but others suggest there may be something more at play.
One insider told The Wrap, "When they launched the second season, they knew it was make or break time. The writing was already on the wall." Latifah was also supposedly only under contract for two years and has been prepared for the end.
- There are several talk show projects launching soon that would create some competition for Queen's show. Tyra Banks and the co-hosts of The F.A.B. will debut next fall along with a new project in development with Jerry O'Connell.
- The first season was the highest rated new talk show of the year but the overall ratings were still disappointing to the network.
- Queen posted a letter to herself on Facebook on Friday (November 21st) to address the cancellation which read:
Just a little note to say Thank You...Thank you for your strong work ethic and great effort in getting The Queen Latifah Show off the ground and running. Your dedication and sacrifice was crucial to the entire team, and in the face of intense challenges, you displayed "True Grit"! Your Family, Partners, Staff and Crew showed up with you every step of the way. Be very proud of that! Not everyone can say the same. You can also say you have been a blessing to and been blessed by amazing guests and incredible audiences for this show. We truly changed people's lives for the better. So...STAY POSITIVE, STAY STRONG, and most importantly, STAY OPEN...There is so much more God has in store!
P.S. This letter is for me, my staff, my crew, and everyone who was by my side for this incredible journey. The most important thing in life is that you wake up every single day and take chances. No matter what the outcome…believe in yourself and continue to fly.
ONE DIRECTION TAKES HOME THE AWARD FOR ARTIST OF THE YEAR AT THE AMAS
Celebs new and old gathered at the Nokia Theater in L.A. last night (November 23rd) for the 2014 American Music Awards. Host Pitbull kicked off the show following Taylor Swift's opening performance in the audience and energetically made his way to the stage. Pitbull introduced himself and got the audience in a great mood by cracking a few funny jokes.
- Some of last night's winners include Iggy Azalea, One Direction and Taylor Swift. Iggy -- who is a first-time award winner, took home Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Album and Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Artist. 1D nabbed the awards for Favorite Pop/Rock Band/Duo/Group and one of the biggest awards of the night, Artist of the Year. Taylor -- who recently transition to pop genre, went home with the Dick Clark Award for Excellence.
- ARTIST OF THE YEAR - One Direction
- NEW ARTIST OF THE YEAR - 5 Seconds of Summer
- SINGLE OF THE YEAR - Katy Perry, "Dark Horse" feat. Juicy J
- FAVORITE MALE ARTIST - POP/ROCK - Sam Smith
- FAVORITE FEMALE ARTIST - POP/ROCK - Katy Perry
- FAVORITE BAND, DUO OR GROUP - POP/ROCK - One Direction
- FAVORITE ALBUM - POP/ROCK - One Direction, Midnight Memories
- FAVORITE MALE ARTIST - COUNTRY - Luke Bryan
- FAVORITE FEMALE ARTIST - COUNTRY - Carrie Underwood
- FAVORITE BAND, DUO OR GROUP - COUNTRY - Florida Georgia Line
- FAVORITE ALBUM - COUNTRY - Brantley Gilbert, Just As I Am
- FAVORITE ARTIST - RAP/HIP-HOP - Iggy Azalea
- FAVORITE ALBUM - RAP/HIP-HOP - Iggy Azalea, The New Classic
- FAVORITE MALE ARTIST - SOUL/R&B - John Legend
- FAVORITE FEMALE ARTIST - SOUL/R&B - Beyonce
- FAVORITE ALBUM - SOUL/R&B - Beyonce, Beyonce
- FAVORITE ARTIST - ALTERNATIVE ROCK - Imagine Dragons
- FAVORITE ARTIST - ADULT CONTEMPORARY - Katy Perry
- FAVORITE ARTIST - LATIN - Enrique Iglesias
- FAVORITE ARTIST - CONTEMPORARY INSPIRATIONAL - Casting Crowns
- FAVORITE ARTIST - ELECTRONIC DANCE MUSIC - Calvin Harris
- TOP SOUNDTRACK - Frozen
- DICK CLARK AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE - Taylor Swift
- Taylor Swift kicked off the show with a pop, performing her new record "Blank Space." With a theme replicating the concept from the music video, Taylor worked the stage filled with dancers, empty picture frames, flames, and hot guys doing choreographed dance moves.
- Charli XCX performed a prom-themed rendition of her record "Boom Clap" with pink, white and red balloon arches and towers. Midway through "Boom Clap" she ripped off her prom dress and changed into a leather skirt and bralette number and performed her new single "Break The Rules."
- With help from Wyclef, Magic! performed their hit reggae hit "Rude." After Wyclef experienced the first wardrobe malfunction of the night, struggling to get his leather jacket off, he and lead singer Nasri continued their performance in the audience.
- 5 Seconds of Summer performed their record "What I Like About You."
- Imagine Dragons hit the stage for an energy-filled performance of "I Bet My Life" with help from a live choir.
- With a hip-hop flare, Sam Smith belted the vocals of his record "I'm Not The Only One" with A$AP Rocky.
- With an intro from her mentor T.I., Iggy hit the stage for a press conference themed performance of "Fancy" with Charli XCX. She also performed "Beg For It."
- Lorde started off slow, but picked up the momentum during her performance of "Yellow Flicker Beat."
- Ariana Grande graced the stage in a long black lace gown and kicks off her medley with a sultry performance of "Problem." She then segued into "Break Free." Ari concluded the performance with "Love Me Harder" will help from The Weeknd.
- The master of ceremonies -- Pitbull, hit the stage and performed "Give Me Everything" with Ne-Yo.
- Selena Gomez gave an emotional performance of her new record "Heart Wants What It Wants" for the first time-ever.
- One Direction performed "Night Changes."
- Lil Wayne hit the stage with rumored girlfriend Christina Milian and performed the next single from his album Tha Carter V, "Start A Fire." Nicki Minaj followed Wayne and performed "Bed of Lies" with Skylar Grey.
- The Black Eyed Peas' own Fergie hit the stage L.A.-style with DJ Mustard and YG to perform her new single "L.A.Love (la la)." Towards the end of the performance, Fergie suffered the second wardrobe malfunction when she couldn't get part of her costume off.
- Garth Brooks performed "People Loving People" live from Greensboro Coliseum Complex.
- Mary J. Blige hit the stage and gave a sultry performance of "Therapy."
- Nicki Minaj and Ariana Grande channelled their inner gold member and got sexy for their performance of "Bang Bang" with Jessie J.
- Jennifer Lopez and Iggy Azalea closed out the show with their booties and performed "Booty."
- Rita Ora said that her ensemble was a last minute decision, but you wouldn't have known. With minimal makeup and her hair in a bun, Rita glowed on the red carpet in a flattering yellow full-length gown.
- Julianna Hough picked the perfect hue. In a reddish orange gown with front detailing, Julianna nailed her look and her slick-back hairstyle was an absolute plus.
- Although Nicki Minaj appeared a bit unbothered during her red carpet interview, Nicki stunned in a black mini dress, with a simple black bob haircut and black pumps.
- One word to describe Selena Gomez's red carpet look: regal. Selena wore a long fitted black, backless gown that hugged her every possible curve.
- Jessie J was simply flawless in a white pants suit wearing her hair bone straight.
- Something about Jordin Sparks' ensemble just wasn't riveting. Her gold gown was kind of just . . . there.
- Jhene Aiko's long rust-colored dress with it's bejeweled neckline appeared a bit overwhelming. Possibly because it was too much for her small frame? Or maybe the dress had too much tulle? Eh, not sure.
- Zendaya just did too much. From the hair, to the baby blue bra-thing, to the gold number. Just . . . too much.
- Heidi Klum's high-split, zigzag two piece was utterly confusing.
- Perhaps if Bleona Qereti was going to a nude beach, her ensemble would have been fitting. Perhaps.
- Jennifer Lopez's makeup and hair was flawless! Her skin-toned bandage dress, not. so. much. Sorry, J.Lo!
- Gigi Hadid's pantsuit, with the exposed bra, was a lot to digest. Still trying to digest it, actually.
TV BROADCAST SOUND
- In clip one, 5 Seconds of Summer wins New Artist.
"Wow! I didn't even know if this think worked. Uh, hello! Thank you so much, I was meant to say something and I forget, this is the first time I have ever done this. This is amazing for us. I'd like to give a big thank you to our team at Capitol. Joe, Steve, Nick, the Lot. Thank you to the management team, who shared our vision and supported us since day one. Thank you to our crew that has been there from the start. We did it lads! Thank you to our fans and this really shows a little band from Sydney can do great things. Thank you, guys. You guys rule." Click here to listen to: 2014 AMERICAN MUSIC AWARDS TAYLOR SWIFT WINS EXCELLENCE AWARD
Click here to listen to: 2014 AMERICAN MUSIC AWARDS SAM SMITH WINS POP ROCK MALE
Click here to listen to: 2014 AMERICAN MUSIC AWARDS ONE DIRECTION WINS BEST POP GROUP
Click here to listen to: 2014 AMERICAN MUSIC AWARDS ONE DIRECTION WINS ARTIST OF THE YEAR
Click here to listen to: 2014 AMERICAN MUSIC AWARDS LUKE BRYAN WINS COUNTRY MALE
Click here to listen to: 2014 AMERICAN MUSIC AWARDS KATY PERRY WINS POP ROCK FEMALE
Click here to listen to: 2014 AMERICAN MUSIC AWARDS IMAGINE DRAGONS WINS ALTERNATIVE ROCK ARTIST
Click here to listen to: 2014 AMERICAN MUSIC AWARDS IGGY AZALEA WINS BEST HIP HOP ARTIST
Click here to listen to: 2014 AMERICAN MUSIC AWARDS IGGY AZALEA WINS BEST HIP HOP ALBUM
Click here to listen to: 2014 AMERICAN MUSIC AWARDS BRANTLY GILBERT WINS COUNTRY ALBUM
Click here to listen to: 2014 AMERICAN MUSIC AWARDS 5 SECONDS OF SUMMER WINS NEW ARTIST
Click here to listen to: AMAS 2014 - 5 SECONDS OF SUMMER'S LUKE HEMMINGS ON OPENING FOR ONE DIRECTION
Click here to listen to: AMAS 2014 - 5 SECONDS OF SUMMER'S LUKE HEMMINGS ON WINNING FIRST AMA
Click here to listen to: AMAS 2014 - BRANTLEY GILBERT ON SPOTIFY ISSUE
Click here to listen to: AMAS 2014 - BRANTLEY GILBERT ON WHO HE FORGOT TO THANK
Click here to listen to: AMAS 2014 - IMAGINE DRAGONS' DAN REYNOLDS ON THEIR SECOND ALBUM
Click here to listen to: AMAS 2014 - LUKE BRYAN ON WHAT MUSIC HE WOULD MAKE IF NOT COUNTRY
Click here to listen to: AMAS 2014 - LUKE BRYAN ON WINNING FAVORITE MALE COUNTRY ARTIST FOR THIRD TIME
Click here to listen to: AMAS 2014 - NE-YO ON PERFORMING WITH PITBULL
Click here to listen to: AMAS 2014 - WYCLEF JEAN ON HIS PERFORMANCE
Click here to listen to: AMAS 2014 - WYCLEF JEAN ON IF THE FUGEES MADE ANOTHER ALBUM
WEEKEND MOVIE WRAP-UP
Fans of the Hunger Games series helped boost Mockingjay Part I to become the highest grossing movie of 2014 so far. The third installment of the series raked in around $124 million over the weekend.
Despite the big box office numbers, Mockingjay failed to surpass the opening weekends earned by the first two movies -- Hunger Games and Catching Fire. Catching Fire brought in $158 million last year and the first movie nabbed $152.5 million.
- Last weekend's top earner, Dumb and Dumber To, fell into fourth place while Big Hero 6 and Interstellar held onto second and third place.
- Gone Girl also managed to stay in fifth place by adding $2.8 million to its overall gross.
THIS WEEKEND'S TOP TEN MOVIES -- NOVEMBER 21 - NOVEMBER 23
1. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay -- Part I, $124.8M
2. Big Hero 6, $20M
3. Interstellar, $15M
4. Dumb and Dumber To, $14M
5. Gone Girl, $2.8M
6. Beyond the Lights, $2.6M
7. St. Vincent, $2.28M
8. Fury, $1.89M
9. Birdman, $1.86M
10. The Theory Of Everything, $1.5M
DONALD TRUMP WEIGHS IN ON BILL COSBY
Donald Trump attended an event in New York City last week where he offered E! News his opinion on Bill Cosby's recent bad press stemming from the women coming forward claiming he sexually assaulted them.
The Celebrity Apprentice host said, "Well, I think it's very sad and frankly I don't think he's handling it well. He should say something because he's being accused of terrible things -- and to have absolutely no comment, I think, he's getting very bad advice from a PR standpoint, and he should do it differently. He's not doing a good job of handling it."
- Bill and Donald previously had beef back in 2011 when the comedian appeared on the Today show saying that Trump was "full of it" and should "run for president or shut up."
- Despite his recent negative publicity, Bill has been receiving standing ovations during appearances in Philadelphia, Florida, and the Bahamas.
- His lawyer released another statement late last week saying, "The new, never-before-heard claims from women who have come forward in the past two weeks with unsubstantiated, fantastical stories about things they say occurred 30, 40 or even 50 years ago have escalated past the point of absurdity. These brand new claims about alleged decades-old events are becoming increasingly ridiculous, and it is completely illogical that so many people would have said nothing, done nothing and made no reports to law enforcement or asserted civil claims if they thought they had been assaulted over a span of so many years. Lawsuits are filed against people in the public eye every day. There has never been a shortage of lawyers willing to represent people with claims against rich, powerful men, so it makes no sense that not one of these new women who just came forward for the first time now ever asserted a legal claim back at the time they alleged they had been sexually assaulted. This situation is an unprecedented example of the media's breakneck rush to run stories without any corroboration or adherence to traditional journalistic standards...It is long past time for this media vilification of Mr. Cosby to stop."
PRINCE HARRY SAYS SOME CHARITIES ARE BUILT ON EGOS
Prince Harry participated in the fifth annual Sentebale Polo Cup in Abu Dhabi last week where he explained why some charitable organizations are more worthwhile causes than others.
He said, "There are so many charities that are, dare I say it, built around egos. A lot of charities survive on those egos. But from my point of view and from us at the foundation, being in that position we have the opportunity to bring so many people that are doing great things together to improve things quicker, rather than waiting five years."
- Harry also addressed the issues with Sentebale, the charity he co-founded with Prince Seeiso of Lesotho, saying, "It started really, really small, a very small group of us saying we're not going to use the funds for other people, it's going to be all for the kids and pretending we knew what we were doing. Ten years down the line we have made a couple of mistakes and in turn learned from our mistakes."
- According to The Telegraph, only eight percent of donations made back in 2008 actually went toward helping the people of Lesotho but that number jumped up to 65% by 2010.
REPORT: SCARLETT JOHANSSON HAD A SECRET WEDDING
Scarlett Johansson may have secretly tied the knot to fiancé Romain Dauriac. According to E! Online, there are rumors circulating that the couple has already exchanged vows after Scarlett was spotted at event on Thursday (November 20th) wearing new bling on her ring finger.
The new mom attended the event with her twin brother, Hunter, and was spotted wearing a gold ring in addition to the engagement ring she's been wearing since Romain proposed last year. Scarlett was also recently seen looking at houses for her new family in the Los Feliz Hills area of L.A.
- She discussed the idea of marrying again after her divorce from Ryan Reynolds in the May issue of Glamour saying, "I feel I know now more of what I need in a relationship, what I want in a relationship. And I know I have more tools to communicate, not just with my partner, but with myself. That's not necessarily any reflection of who I was married to or what was happening in my marriage, but really where I was in my life."
- Scarlett and Romain are parents to Rose Dorothy who was born back in September.
GWYNETH PALTROW RECIPE APPEARS TO DISS MARTHA STEWART: Gwyneth Paltrow is offering fans a new recipe on her GOOP website called Jailbird Cake that is thought to be a little jab at rival Martha Stewart. The cake is made up of chocolate wafers and whipped cream that resembles prison bars. Martha spent time in the big house back in 2004 for insider trading. Stewart previously took a jab at Gwyneth by publishing a piece called "Conscious Coupling" in Martha Stewart Living to make fun Paltrow's split from Chris Martin.
ROBERT PATTINSON'S PDA-FILLED DAY WITH FKA TWIGS: Robert Pattinson spent the day with girlfriend FKA Twigs on Friday (November 21st) in L.A. where he was photographed grabbing onto her butt as they went to lunch. The Rover star also hit up FKA's concert later in the day at the Regent Theater. A source told US Weekly, "He definitely knew the songs and the set. He would always perk up and turn his full attention towards the stage when she danced."
ROBIN WILLIAMS' SON OPENS UP ABOUT FATHER'S DEATH: Robin Williams' son, Zak Williams, broke his silence about his dad's death for the first time last week while attending a fundraiser for the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation. He told the crowd, "We're doing okay. We're acclimating to the new normal. Everything is step by step. Personally, my wife and I are focusing on doing a lot of good. She runs the San Francisco office of Human Rights Watch, and we're working with them to do good in the world." Robin died on August 11th.
ALEC BALDWIN'S STALKER STRIKES AGAIN: Page Six is reporting that Genevieve Sabourin, the woman arrested for stalking Alec Baldwin, allegedly violated a restraining order to keep away from him last Friday (November 21st) when she showed up at his home. Sources say she was not arrested. Genevieve was released from Rikers Island just one day earlier.
KIM KARDASHIAN CANCELS TRIP TO INDIA: Kim Kardashian has had to cancel her planned trip to India where she was scheduled to appear on their version of Big Brother. She explained the last-minute change on Instagram writing, "To all my wonderful fans in India, I'm so disappointed I wasn't able to come to India as planned. When the opportunity presented itself to make the trip, there was a short window to coordinate all of the elements necessary to make it happen. Unfortunately, time ran out so the trip has been canceled. I look forward to rescheduling and meeting everyone soon." A source explained to the Hindustan Times, "Kim had to go to Dubai from India, but as per visa rules she had to appear at the consulate office in Mumbai as she was coming from a foreign country and heading to another foreign country. Unfortunately, her schedule is too tight and she would have been left with no time if she had squeezed in a visit to the consulate. She had to therefore cancel her India trip as she had a lot of commitments in Dubai."
NETFLIX PICKS UP TINA FEY SERIES: Netflix has picked up the new comedy Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt from Tina Fey and Robert Carlock. The show was originally picked up by NBC for mid-season but Netflix snatched it up for launch in March. The network said in a statement, "When the opportunity arose for Tina Fey and Robert Carlock to premiere their new show on Netflix with a two-season commitment, we decided this was the best possible scenario to launch this captivating new series." Kimmy stars Ellie Kemper as a woman who starts over after escaping from a doomsday cult.
FOX MOVES 'GLEE' TO FRIDAYS: Fox has announced that the final season of Glee will air on Fridays. The last batch of episodes will kick off with a two-hour premiere on January 9th. The series finale will air on March 20th also as a two-hour episode.
'ZOOLANDER' SEQUEL ADDS PENELOPE CRUZ: Penelope Cruz has been added to the cast of Zoolander 2. Her role has not been revealed but she joins the returning actors from the first film including Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, and reportedly Will Ferrell. Justin Theroux wrote the script that Stiller will also be directing.
JULIA STILES TO APPEAR ON 'THE MINDY PROJECT': Julia Stiles has booked a guest-starring gig on an upcoming holiday-themed episode of The Mindy Project. Her character will be introduced in the episode airing December 9th where she takes an interest to Ike Barinholtz's nurse Morgan. She is also an old friend of Chris Messina's character, Danny.
SPIKE TV ORDERS 'LIP SYNC BATTLE': Spike TV is turning Jimmy Fallon's popular Lip Sync Battle segment from The Tonight Show into a game show. The series will go into production in January and is expected to debut on April 2nd, 2015. Fallon, John Krasinski, and Stephen Merchant will all perform on the first episode. They will also be executive producers on the show.
KENDALL JENNER COMPARES HERSELF TO HANNAH MONTANA
Kendall Jenner's career has her feeling like Hannah Montana. The 19-year-old was recently profiled in The New York Times where she explained how she balances her reality TV job with her rising status in the modeling world.
She explained, "It's definitely two different worlds. I feel like Hannah Montana. But it's fun." Kendall went on to discuss her sudden rise in the fashion world saying, "It's something that I didn't really expect to happen so quickly. It's so crazy. I just want to be the best me I can be. So having the power that social media does, I think just seeing how many people care about you and seeing how many people, like, want to watch what you're doing, it just makes you really want to do the best you can do."
- Kendall recently scored contracts as the face of Estee Lauder and as the star of the upcoming ad campaign for Karl Lagerfeld's 2015 spring collection.