MOTHER WANTS TOYS R US TO STOP SELLING 'BREAKING BAD' ACTION FIGURES
A mother in Florida is petitioning to convince Toys R Us to stop carrying Breaking Bad action figures from their stores. Susan Schrivjer has collected over 2,500 signatures to get the toys removed because she feels the nature of the show goes against the image that Toys R Us puts out for itself.
The line includes a Walter White figure, Walter White as Heisenberg, and Jesse Pinkman in a hazmat suit. Walter White also comes carrying a bag of his blue meth. Susan told her local Fox affiliate, "Kids mimic their action figures, if you will. Do you want your child in an orange jumpsuit?" She goes on to say that she "shouldn't be forced to explain why someone who sells those drugs deserves to be made into an action figure."
- The company responded by saying that the toys are clearly marked to be for children 15 and over and that they are sold in section of the store for adult action figures.
- Breaking Bad star Bryan Cranston also caught wind of the controversy and tweeted on Monday (October 20th,) "Florida mom petitions against Toys 'R Us over Breaking Bad action figures." I'm so mad, I'm burning my Florida Mom action figure in protest."
DESIGNER OSCAR DE LA RENTA HAS DIED
Fashion designer Oscar de la Renta has passed away at the age of 82. He had been battling cancer since 2006.
Oscar rose to fame for dressing Jackie Kennedy in the 60s. His work was popular with other first ladies including Betty Ford, Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama and more. Most recently, Amal Alamuddin wore one of his designs for her wedding to George Clooney. He told the International Business Times last year, "The only realities in life are that you are born, and that you die. We always think we are going to live forever. The dying aspect we will never accept. The one thing about having this kind of warning is how you appreciate every single day of life."
- He is survived by his second wife Annette Reed and his adopted son Moises.
- Peter Copping was named creative director of the brand last week.
Taylor Swift: My all-time favorite designer has passed away. Oscar, it was an honor to wear your creations and to know you. In loving memory. A photo posted by Taylor Swift (@taylorswift) on Oct 10, 2014 at 7:03pm PDT
Sad to hear of the death of #OscardelaRenta. What a remarkable life and career, and a kind and generous man. — Anderson Cooper (@andersoncooper) October 21, 2014
In shock. I saved an oscar de la renta dress for 4 yrs to wear to a special occasion #TheAngelBall & he passes away. #riposcar — Bethenny Frankel (@Bethenny) October 21, 2014
Thank you for your art and glamour Mr. De la Renta. You will be so missed. — Johnny Weir (@JohnnyGWeir) October 21, 2014
SHONDA RHIMES REACTS TO CRITICISM OF HER SHOW'S GAY SCENES
Shonda Rhimes could not care less if you have a problem with the gay scenes on her shows. The TV mogul took to Twitter on Sunday (October 19th) to respond to a user who wrote, "The gay scenes in Scandal and How to Get Away With Murder are too much. There is no point and they add nothing to the plot."
Shonda wrote back, "There are no GAY scenes. There are scenes with people in them. If you are suddenly discovering that Shondaland shows have scenes involving people who are gay, you are LATE TO THE PARTY. If u use the phrase "gay scenes", u are not only LATE to the party but also NOT INVITED to the party. Bye Felicia. #oneLOVE." She later added, "Ok, tweeps. Someone got me all riled up and fighting 4 my friends and their love and the equality of all -- I am supposed to be WRITING. So, I know you lovelies are asking me questions but I have to go. And finish making script notes. So you have more #GreysAnatomy to watch. I love all you Tweeples. Even the ones who still need to grow. And remember that at some point, someone discriminated against you too. I don't know why this kind of hate is out there. Ugh. #onelove. At least in Shondaland. Have a great rest of your weekend!"
- Peter Nowalk, the creator of How to Get Away With Murder, recently chatted with E! about the show's gay scenes saying, "I knew I wanted to push the envelope, especially with the gay sex. And to me, writing the gay characterization and writing some real gay sex into a network show is to right the wrong of all of the straight sex that you see on TV. Because I didn't see that growing up, and I feel like the more people get used to two men kissing, the less weird it will be for people. I just feel like it's a lack of vision that you don't see it on TV, but ABC has never had a note about any of the weird stuff in the show, so I'm gonna keep it going."
BETHENNY FRANKEL CONFIRMS 'REAL HOUSEWIVES' RETURN
Despite previous interviews claiming she was eyeing some other reality project, Bethenny Frankel has officially confirmed her return to The Real Housewives of New York City.
She broke the news in a press release on Monday (October 20th) saying, "I'm genuinely excited, with a side of slightly nervous, for my return to The Real Housewives of New York City. Bravo has always been the place on television where I have the freedom to be unfiltered, honest and inappropriate, with an audience who has been with me from the beginning. I can't wait to see what this next chapter brings for all of us. Watch what happens!" Bethenny also told Us Weekly, "I'm such a different person and in such a different place than when I was on first season. Slightly exciting, a little bit of anxiousness, but it feels fresh. It doesn't feel like how I felt going into the third season of the Housewives. There was just so much muck and I just didn't feel it was good energy."
- Andy Cohen addressed the news saying, "Bethenny is one of the most popular Housewives in the history of the franchise and I couldn't be more excited she is coming home to Bravo!"
- Bethenny quit the show after appearing on the first three seasons. She starred on two network spin-offs -- Bethenny Getting Married? and Bethenny Ever After.
- She left Bravo to host her own daytime talk show which lasted only one season.
JONATHAN BENNETT ELIMINATED FROM 'DWTS'
Last night (October 20th) on Dancing With The Stars, during the sixth week of competition, actor Jonathan Bennett was the latest contestant of the season to be sent home.
The three couples in jeopardy included Janel Parrish along with her partner Valentin Chmerkovskiy, Bennett and his partner Allison Holker, and Michael Waltrip with his partner Emma Slater. Michael and Emma was safe, leaving Janel and Jonathan as the remaining two contestants. The couple with the lowest combined total of viewer votes and judges scores from the last two weeks was Jonathan and Allison, who were eliminated. "I came here to do this show, to have fun and just like have a really great experience and to bring life back into my life. And that's what I did" said Bennett.
The show featured guest co-host Leah Remini who filled in for Erin Andrews, and rapper Pitbull replaced Len Goodman as a guest judge. He also performed his single "Fireball".
The remaining contestants include Waltrip, Parrish, Tommy Chong, Antonio Sabato Jr, Sadie Robertson, Lea Thompson, Bethany Mota and Alfonso Ribeiro. Click here to listen to: DANCING WITH THE STARS PITBULL PERFORMS FIREBALL
Click here to listen to: DANCING WITH THE STARS JULIANNE ON JONATHAN BENNETTS JAZZ PERFORMANCE
Click here to listen to: DANCING WITH THE STARS JONATHAN BENNETT ON BEING ON THE SHOW
Click here to listen to: DANCING WITH THE STARS JONATHAN BENNETT IS ELIMINATED
JIMMY FALLON PREVIEWS NEW CHILDREN'S BOOK
Jimmy Fallon's upcoming children's book is all about trying to get your child to say "dada." The picture book, called Your Baby’s First Word Will Be Dada, will be hitting stores on June 9th and acts as a how-to book in couching your kid to speak up.
The Tonight Show host said, "This is one of the few celebrity books that you can tell was actually written by a celebrity." The idea came about after Jimmy's daughter, Winnie Rose, learned how to call out to her mother before saying "Dada." The proud papa added, "My baby personally approved of the beautiful artwork by Miguel Ordóñez."
KRISTEN STEWART IS READY FOR A BREAK: Kristen Stewart is ready to take a break from acting to pursue her other artistic interests. While promoting her new film Camp X-Ray, she discussed her futures plans with USA Today saying, "I'm taking some time off because I've been working for two years. I'm an actor and that's my art form, and because I started that so young, I've always felt intimidated and insufficient when I think about other forms of art I want to create. I'm going to take so much time off. I'm going to buy a live-work space in downtown LA and I'm going to make some stuff with my hands. Literally, I made that decision a few weeks ago. I'm making a short film. I'm making a bunch of stuff. I don't know how I'll put it out. But I'm not going to hold it so preciously close to me. I write all the time." According to IMDB, Kristen currently has six other films in various stages of production in addition to Camp X-Ray.
JAMES FRANCO ACCUSED OF TACKLING PHOTOGRAPHER: A photographer filled out a police report over the weekend claiming that he injured his back and damaged his camera as a result of being tackled by James Franco. The incident occurred at a Lana Del Rey concert at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery on Friday (October 17th) where witnesses say James was allegedly laughing as ran head first into the paparazzo. James has not addressed the incident. He attended the show with Pretty Little Liars actor Keegan Allen.
REPORT: KIM KARDASHIAN HAS DIVA DEMANDS TO PROMOTE A PRODUCT: A company looking to hire Kim Kardashian to promote their product has leaked an email of the reality star's alleged demands in order to make an endorsement deal. According to Radar Online, Kim charges $750,000 to $1 million as just a flat fee. The email from her rep also states that she requires, "5 first class tickets, plus 1 coach, first class hotel accommodations -- 1 suite for talent and standard rooms for others in party, portal to portal first class exclusive ground transportation, airport greeter service, security, glam fee --day rate for her hair and makeup squad, and a per diem. We would need approval over photographer, all photos used in print materials, glam squad -- hair, makeup, stylist, manicurist, hotel/airline/car service and PR usage. We would need to review and approve the media plan with her PR team." The email also reportedly explains that Kendall Jenner is also available for similar price but less of the added demands.
SHIA LABEOUF OPENS UP ABOUT RELATIONSHIP WITH HIS FATHER: Shia LaBeouf appears in the new issue of Interview where opens up about his difficult relationship with his dad. He tells the magazine, "The only thing my father gave me that was of any value to me is pain. The only time my dad will ever talk to me is when I need him at work. He knows to pick up the Skype phone call, and he knows what I'm looking for. It's not to say 'Hey, Dad.' We manipulate each other. We service each other. I use him when I go to work. It's not a real conversation; it's just an excuse to rev up. He's the marionette puppeteer. My dad is the key to most of my base emotions. My greatest and my worst memories are with my father, all my major trauma and major celebration came from him. It's a negative gift. And I'm not ready to let go of it, because anger has a lot of power."
NICHOLAS BRENDON ADDRESSES WEEKEND ARREST: Former Buffy the Vampire Slayer actor Nicholas Brendon has issued a statement apologizing for the behavior that led to his arrest in a hotel in Idaho on Friday night (October 17th.) The statement reads, "I apologize. Usually those words end a message like this but I am beginning with them to emphasize how much I regret disappointing my family, my fans, and myself. I can offer an explanation but I make no excuse for my unacceptable behavior." Nicholas adds, "For the past 5 days, I have been taking prescription pain medication to help me manage a cyst behind my knee cap, which is scheduled for corrective surgery on Monday morning. I made the poor decision to mix this prescribed medication with alcohol. The result was embarrassing and unacceptable. I intend to seek appropriate treatment and therapy for my medical ailments as well as my emotional demons. Again: I apologize. Those two small words don't begin to express my regrets, but they do mark the beginning of my recovery. During this difficult time, I appreciate understanding as I pursue rehabilitation -- and I value support as I earn redemption with my family, friends, and fans." Nicholas recently married his girlfriend, Moonda Tee, in Las Vegas -- one week after getting engaged.
ABC TO LAUNCH TYRA BANKS' 'THE F.A.B.': ABC will be home to Tyra Banks' new syndicated lifestyle show, The F.A.B. (Fun And Beautiful.) The model and reality host will be joined by Chrissy Teigen, fashion guru Joe Zee, interior design professional Lauren Makk, and YouTuber Leah Ashley to round out the panel of experts who will be covering a wide range of topics. The show will be launching in the fall of 2015. Network exec Lisa Hackner said in a statement, "At 40, Tyra has never been more relevant than she is today and her massive and growing digital footprint exemplifies her connection with women of all ages. Tyra has curated a fresh and authentic panel of co-hosts that is diverse in expertise, digitally connected and also share a magical chemistry."
RYAN MURPHY SELLS ANOTHER HORROR SERIES: Ryan Murphy and the rest of his Glee team have decided to stay in the horror genre following the success of American Horror Story. Fox has ordered their new comedy-horror series called Scream Queens about a college campus rocked by a series of murders. Ryan said in a statement, "I knew I wanted to work with Brad and Ian again on something comedic, and we are having a blast writing Scream Queens. We hope to create a whole new genre -- comedy-horror -- and the idea is for every season to revolve around two female leads. We've already begun a nationwide search for those women, as well as 10 other supporting roles, and we're very grateful to Dana Walden and Gary Newman for their enthusiastic support." The show is expected to debut next fall.
'MY LITTLE PONY' MOVIE ON THE WAY: Hasbro has announced plans for a big-screen version of My Little Pony. The animated movie will be written by Joe Ballarini who previously worked on Ice Age: Continental Drift. It will hit theaters in 2017.
NEW DETAILS ON 'SHARKNADO 3': Syfy has revealed that the third installment of the Sharknado series will be taking please on the "feast coast" which is from Washington D.C. to Orlando, Florida. The previous installments took place in New York City and L.A. No casting announcements have been made yet but Ian Ziering and Tara Reid are expected to reprise their roles.
USA RENEWS 'CHRISLEY KNOWS BEST': USA is keeping the cameras rolling on the Chrisley family. The network has announced plans for a 12-episode third season of their reality series Chrisley Knows Best. The second season premiered last week and scored its highest ratings to date. The family will also star in a holiday special airing this December.
KRISTEN BELL GIVES IN TO ALL PREGNANCY CRAVINGS
Kristen Bell usually tries to stay healthy but pregnancy is her free pass to give into her cravings. She recently attended a charity event in L.A. where she discussed carrying her second child with Us Weekly.
The House of Lies star told the magazine, "I just like food. If it can be digested, chances are I'll want it. Pretty much what I normally eat, which is fairly healthy, but I give in a lot more to cravings. It occurs to me more often how delicious Kettle chips are when I'm pregnant. I give into my cravings more often because if I'm not going to do it now, when will I do it?" She added, "I've been more active this pregnancy I think because I chase around a toddler. I really benefited from applying prenatal yoga."
- Kristen and husband Dax Shepard are also parents to daughter Lincoln who was born in March 2013.